Note: These are exercises used in classroom and online courses. See the Abacus-es Classes page.
Many contain intentional errors to be fixed. Be sure to look up vocabulary terms as needed.
Adverbs and Adjectives Playsheet 2
Identify modifiers, correct errors
- The Hitchiker's Guide spoke of days in which spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.
- In those days, spirits were brave, the steaks were high, men were really men, women were really women and small slight furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were really slightly furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.
- The real proud furry creature was the most noble member of the Society of Amateur Orthodontics Enthusiasts and Cat Groomers.
- The really enthusiastic customers came in droves, puffing and panting -- real small droves of two or three.
- "They really aren't real droves" remarked the lachrymose lamplighter quickly.
- They couldn't hardly expect the dashingly extravagant emissary to really jubilate over the hastily scribbled "F+."
- They could hardly expect the dashing extravagant emissary to express real jubilation over the hasty scribbled "F+."
- The parking attendant sang the cacophonous chanson stranger even than the slightly unnerved ice-cream salesman.
- The parking attendant sang the cacophonously chanson strangelyer even than the slight unnerved ice-cream salesman.
- The mildly horrified angler landed what appeared to be a can of erroneously labeled Spam with an enigmatically terse tome tied to it with a piece of gaudy gray yarn.
- The fiercely apathetic lobbyist indulged the honestly venal minister.
- The fierce apathetic lobbyist indulged the honest venal minister.