Note: These are exercises used in classroom and online courses. See the Abacus-es Classes page.
Many contain intentional errors to be fixed. Be sure to look up vocabulary terms as needed.
Ambiguous and Missing Antecedents
Rewrite and interpret the following in as many ways as possible.
- The spinning wheel stood on the ancient parapet before it was dismantled.
- The banner flew in the sparkling sun as the cavalcade approached the battlements just before it disappeared from view.
- Harold helped Hermione rewrite the screenplay of Delightful Moments with Hideous People before being insulted by the dockworker, and it reminded her of a mermaid on a motorcycle.
- While trying ineffectually to retrieve the eggplant centerpiece from his neighbor's trout pond, Rupert's phone wouldn't stop playing Monteverdi's Orfeo and the chicken just kept dancing until Irmgard threw a yogurt-encrusted spatula at him.
- The day after the strange incident with the petulant penguin, Mabel found Hermione and Penelope putting the finishing touches on the marble bust of Jane Austin and then she came down with a bad cold and hid it in the refrigerator until she could think of a better way to explain why she missed the deadline.
- There was a rumor going around that the library's copy of 16 More Things to Do in Zero Gravity had been used to store the dessicated duck's liver long after the expiry date and it was nasty.
- The members of the sixth grade cooking class were issued charismatic wooden spoons, but were told by the three whisk-wielding Muscovites that they were expected to present them to the members of the board of holistic balloonists when they finished their tour of the campus model-railroader's exhibit of extinct Siberian waterfowl.