Note: These are exercises used in classroom and online courses. See the Abacus-es Classes page.
Many contain intentional errors to be fixed. Be sure to look up vocabulary terms as needed.
Error. Count file "/home/abacuses/abacus-esx.com/sat/xlikeplaysheet.count" not writable or non-existant.
Define the purpose of instances of the word "like" in the following sentences. Which are functional and which are not? Rewrite the sentences using only functional words.
- As the like massive diplodocus like pranced over the field like a slug in a like tutu, like three hundred tiny penguins waving like stuffed rabbits and ducks like descended from the like hills like a swarm of malicious like parakeets.
- The like minded like administrators sat in a like circle on the lawn like surrounded by like a dozen opportunistic spoon wielding like skateboarders like a wagon train beset by befeathered like Pawnees.
- Like father like son, the like tiny elephant like routed the like putrid like spear-wielding Ibos like an avenging diminutive leviathan in like 10 minutes of like raucous trumpeting and charging.
- Though they did like like dinner theater, particularly when it like mimicked recent events in the like play yard, like neither Rowland nor Boadicea like liked the idea of like waving the green sausages about like demented like clockwork monkeys.
- Traveling like languorously over the like sward like the two dispirited knights they were, like who should appear but a like enormous waddling bishop with like a flask of like delicious mead and like half a hundredweight of like fish tacos.
- When like confronted by the like resplendent like garment of which she'd like never like seen the like, and after being like told that like all the like irreverent like rabble like such costumes, she like agreed to appear to like like the outfit, much like she had like agreed to like persuade the lord chancellor to like appear to like picnics in the like swamp.